Thursday, December 01, 2005

Care to Dance? Here Are A Few Options

Thursday, December 1, 2005
Mighty's 2 Year Anniversary Party
Club Mighty
Free

DJs Brad Robinson & Mancub, Murphstar & Brett Pinkin, Shissler & Smoove, Russ & Derek, Samira & Aaron Jay, Syd & Laird, and Aaron Pope & Melyss spinning. Although I recognize a few names, I don't really know anything about these DJs. My guess is that you can expect a mélange of electronic styles, including the mainstays such as house, trance, breaks, d'n'b plus all the popular current styles such as baile funk, miami bass and grime. And I would bet on some mash ups too. Besides being free, this party features an OPEN BAR for 2 hours, from 10 to midnight. And that's why I'm sharing it with you.

Friday, December 2, 2005
No-Neck Blues Band
Bottom of the Hill
$10

Large ensemble of anonymous multi-instrumental musicians that performs what I would describe generally as free folk, but incorporates elements of countless experimental musical styles (drone, noise, avant-garde, free jazz). At all interested? Well, definitely go, because NNCK mostly play lofts, rooftops and various public spaces in NYC and your chances to see them are few and far between. They are touring in support of their recent release on 5RC, Qvaris. Although I haven't picked it up yet, its on my shortlist of desired albums and, from what I've heard and read, is a haunting affair. Show begins with one act featuring members of local gypsy punk group Full Moon Partisans and The Alps, featuring members of local experimental rock/noise outfit Tarentel and disco-punk/dub/dance-rock group Tussle.

Friday night
Friday, December 2, 2005
Amon Tobin
Mezzanine
$15

Native Brazilian/UK resident Amon Tobin has been one of my favorites since I discovered him back in college. Starting off as a drum'n'bass DJ with a penchant for sampling jazz, Amon Tobin's music quickly evolved into something difficult to describe succinctly, as he leaps back and forth between so many genres of electronic music. I won't let that stop me from getting you thinking about what to expect: Drum'n'bass beats, jazz samples, big-beat, orchestral samples, ambient electronica, traditional Japanese instrumentation, cut'n'paste hip hop. What is clear is that he is a top-notch producer. As far as the live show, I have seen him do sets with turntables and sets with only a laptop. Audio-visual sets focusing on his ambient soundscape material and straight-ahead d'n'b sets. Oh, and the time when he rocked the crowd as hard as anything I've ever seen at Scala in London with an old-school Metallica riff/heavy d'n'b mash-up. Highly recommended.

Saturday, December 3, 2005
The Earlies
Bottom of the Hill
$8

I have only heard one track and a mixtape that The Earlies have on their website (http://www.theearlies.com), but I love it. Its an across-the-pond collaboration, with half the band from West Texas and half from Manchester, England. It started off in Postal Service/Foreign Exchange fashion with DAT tapes going back and forth. Going on the little I've heard its indie-psych rock with electronic influences. And I've also heard from sources in Austin that they put on a great show. Bring The Byrds to the 21st century, sign them to Secretly Canadian, give them a sampler, and let the substance ingesting commence!!! P.S. Local acts Habitforming and Henry Miller Sextet open.

Sunday, December 4, 2005
Rjd2 and Lyrics Born
Pauly Ballroom (Berkeley)
$???

Alright, this one is a shot in the dark. Its posted on various websites, but I can't get any legit information on it. Rjd2 and Amon Tobin in town the same weekend. Unbelievable (and perhaps not happening). Rjd2 is Def Jux's answer to DJ Shadow, dropping an unbelievably good debut (Deadringer) and producing some amazing tracks that ensure Def Jux will have some funky production and won't slip too far into noise-hop or whatever you want to call the lovely post-modern production that EL-P often puts out (check out Cannibal Ox). Lyrics Born is blowing up right now, from what I understand. I haven't heard anything of his for a while, so I'm going to refrain from embarrassing myself and trying to talk about him, but I know he's been getting radio play and TV commercial lovin'. But he's on Quannum after all, so to those who fear mainstream hip hop: Don't. And I can tell you he's got great flow. I'd appreciate any help confirming this one. Not that I'm necessarily going to trek to the East Bay on Sunday with Friday and Saturday looking so hot, but I might.

Wednesday, December 7, 2005
!!!
Mezzanine
$12

Bay Area to NYC disco punk/dance rock outfit !!! (pronounced most commonly as "chk chk chk" but any monosyllabic word x3 will do) will do their damnedest make sure that everyone in the club is shaking his or her ass - due in no small part to singer Nic Offer's energy on the mic and incessant dancing as he stammers and shouts. The disco/speed-dub bass, angular guitar and trance-inducing drumming combine with percussion, horns and electronics and give !!! what they need to become Gang of Four on the disco floor. I seriously dare you to try and stand still at this show. SF's fellow dance rock bands Von Iva and Tussle open.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home