Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Amoeba on Fire

Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Mammatus
Café Du Nord
$7

I keep plugging these semi-local psychedelic stoner rockers, but they just keep right on playing tons of shows. Get out there and let them take you away.


Tuesday, August 8, 2006
Comets on Fire
Amoeba
Free, 6:00 p.m.

The only thing better than seeing a band play a free show at Amoeba is seeing a kick-ass band play a free show at Amoeba. Well, get ready, because tonight a kick-ass band does play Amoeba. The last time I saw Comets on Fire, when they opened for Dinosaur, Jr., I was slightly disappointed. It had been a while since our schedules were aligned, and it appeared that, in my absence, they had mellowed out a bit. Not that there wasn’t any of the noisy, mind-blowing space-outs of yesteryear, it was just, well, a little more polished. One of the things I had loved about CoF was the sheer insanity of the jams. Like taking a breakdown from Led Zeppelin’s first album and jacking it up on meth and letting it loose. I was expecting LOUD and I only got LOud. After hearing the new album, though, I’ve come around. It’s fantastic. Definitely less noisy than Blue Cathedral, but better in some ways. Sort of like feeding the said Led Zeppelin jam some mushrooms and a fifth of whiskey. Maybe it’s the fact that everyone is off doing a ton of side projects (Six Organs of Admittance, Howling Rain, Noel Von Harmonson, and Colossal Yes, to name a few), maybe not, but CoF’s sound has just gotten so tight. That’s as much as I can devote to the CoF show tonight, but check it out. And, if you can’t, or you can and you like what you hear, they headline a real show at Great American next Wednesday supported by local noise/experimentalists Skaters and 16 Bitch Pileup.


Wednesday, August 9, 2006
Milosh, Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory and James Figurine
Rickshaw Stop
$10

XLR8R Magazine presents this quaint evening of electronica. While I haven’t heard Milosh, he’s on Plug Research, who tend to put out some quality audio. I saw Nobody & Mystic Chords of Memory opening for Jamie Lidell and Edan back in June, and, while I was not blown away, I definitely saw potential and now they have had a couple of months to work on their live set. An associate of Prefuse 73, Nobody works the samplers, drum machines, etc. while two of the folks from Beachwood Sparks (Mystic Chords of Memory) crank out some beautiful pop songs. James Figurine is the most notorious of the lineup, as he is also known as Dntel and as the man behind the electronics in The Postal Service.

Well, I am out of time for the time being. Hopefully I can find the time to squeeze in another entry before Thursday, because there’s some great stuff that night (Diplo, Ryoji Ikeda, The Gris Gris, OHSEES). Mmmm, mmmm….. Delicious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home