Tuesday, October 03, 2006

What Could Possibly Be More Important than Me?

What can I say, I’m as busy as ever. Nothing like having the parents in town for a week to keep you busy as hell. Apologies for the lack of the post last week, but it was fairly light week anyway (except for the kick-ass Mastodon and Converge show I attended). Things are picking up again though.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006
Celtic Frost and Sunn O)))
The Fillmore
$29.50

Celtic Frost has been one of the bigger names of metal over the past 20+ years. The Swiss group’s music has traveled through various metal subgenres, with death, symphonic, thrash, power, black and more types of metal all making various appearances. Their importance on the metal scene is obvious. If you like metal at all, you would do well to check them out. There’s an extra special bonus if you do: Sunn O)))) I saw these guys play last Halloween with Boris (who are also playing the Bay soon, more on that as it approaches), and it was unquestionably one of the best shows of the year. The fact that it was on Halloween was the icing on the cake. Down-tuned, ultra heavy, ultra dark, ultra slow doom is on the menu. The bass will turn your soul black. This show is worth it for seeing the reaction of hardcore Celtic Frost fans try to headbang to insanely slow experimental metal.


Tuesday, October 3, 2006
Man Man and Pink Mountaintops
Independent
$12

Here’s a quick review I wrote of Pink Mountaintops’ latest:

PINK MOUNTAINTOPS
Axis of Evol
(Jagjaguwar)
star rating: 4 stars (out of 5)

After delivering one of 2005’s greatest rock albums with Black Mountain, Stephen McBean returns in 2006 with his second stoner-psych rock album as Pink Mountaintops, Axis of Evol. Moving from fucking mountains and an ode to the 69 to searching for salvation and a conversation with Jesus, the subject matter is weightier. The Perfect Prescription-era Spacemen 3 and Psycho Candy-era Jesus and Mary Chain dominate the sound, along with the occasional drum machine. From epic trance inducing psychedelia
(“Slaves”) to dirty stoner funk (“Lord let Us Shine”) to minimalist psych-folk (“Comas”), Axis runs the gamut. Trying to sum up Axis this quickly is like trying to pour a handle into a shot glass. There’s plenty here to keep you coming back, so drink up.

They’re just a great fucking rock band, and they’re great live, whether at Bottom of the Hill, a block party in Austin during SXSW or, presumably, The Independent. The fact that Beefheart-ish rockers Man Man are playing as well, well that’s just goddamn dope. I’m running out of time (and I’ve got some other important news below) and they are difficult to pigeon-hole, so I’ll just say that I’ve never heard anything but stellar reviews of them live. According to a few people I know, they blew the Fiery Furnaces out of the water at the recent Fillmore show.


Thursday, October 5, 2006
KUSF DJ Night featuring Lenode
Lucky 13 (2140 Market St., San Francisco)
Free

That’s right. It’s the first Thursday of the month, so that means it’s time for another KUSF DJ Night at Lucky 13. Cheap drinks, free peanuts, good company, and some of your favorite KUSF DJs spinning some records. One of those DJs: Yours truly. That’s right. My first proper live DJ gig ever. I’ll be playing punk, metal, maybe a little industrial and all sorts of rocking rock from 10:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. so come on out to witness the birth of a legend. Seriously though, folks, this is your chance to hear me play some music at a time when some of you are actually awake. It may not be my freeform anything-goes show on KUSF, but, hey, at least I don’t have to worry about whether or not the tracks I want to play have “fuck” in the lyrics.


In case I am too busy with my folks and my music and my “life” to do another post before this weekend, don’t forget about the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in Golden Gate Park this weekend. The weather got crappy just in time!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home