Thursday, December 08, 2005

Fridays Can Be Hella Good for Dancing

Well, folks, I have to apologize for a measly showing this week, but I've been sick and busy. So I'm keeping it short and sweet. I didn't want those of you that check up on my blog to go without. And I certainly don't want people not going out and seeing music just because I've been sick.

Thursday, December 15, 2005
Fred Frith, Larry Ochs and Scott Amendola
21 Grand (Oakland)
$10

I, for one, was super bummed I didn't make it to see Fred Frith's solo performance a few weeks ago at Hemlock. I didn't have any good reason not to go, except that it was a $15 show, and that doesn't usually stop me. I just wasn't feeling it that night, which was weird because I was really excited about the show since Frith plays guitar or bass on many of the CDs I've purchased recently due to my obsession with avant-garde musician John Zorn. Well, I may have missed the show, but in my bummed-ness I did a little research on Mr. Frith and discovered that he teaches composition at Mills College in Oakland. Which means more crazy improvisation shows like this one: Frith, who played in the renowned avant-garde groups Massacre and Naked City; Larry Ochs, founding member of Rova Saxophone Quartet; and Scott Amendola, a highly respected young drummer.

Friday, December 16, 2005
Future Primitive 10 Year Anniversary With Z-Trip & Radar + Strings, Faust & Shortee, Romanowski and more
Mighty
$20

Future Primitve has been bringing us cutting edge DJ music for 10 years and they're celebrating it with the reunion of the Bombshelter DJs who brought us the classic mash-up turntablism CD, Live at the Future Primitive Soundsession, Volume Two. Oh, and apparently they will also be featuring a live string section. And Faust & Shortee will be spinning. Plus a whole bunch of listed guests and surprise DJs and MCs. Oh, and there's audio stimulation with live graffiti from Doze and live video as well. Should be an event.

Friday, December 16, 2005
Breakestra and Cut Chemist
DNA Lounge
$15 advance/$20 door

Basically a live breaks band, Breakestra plays classic funk/soul/r&b tracks that we all know and know and love because they have become classic hip hop sampling material. I have heard that the Meters have gone soft in their old age, but at least we can see some shake-your-ass funk this Friday in the form of Breakestra. And let's not forget Cut Chemist, the DJ from Jurassic 5 and Ozomatli, whose been known to bust out more than a little hot funk on his own.

Friday, December 16, 2005
Dead Prez
1015
$15 pre-sale/$? at the door

Florida-based rap duo Sticman and M-1 have been making politically charged, social activist hip hop for half a decade now, and they show no signs of slowing down, with a constant touring schedule and repeated appearances in the Bay. Lyrically, Dead Prez question and challenge the system that keeps blacks down. Heavy stuff, but the truth often is. Dead Prez songs like "They Schools" certainly ring true. But in addition to being lyrically heavy, the beats are too and they will make you want to get your bounce on. Also, the event is being filmed as part of a documentary about the burgeoning politically conscious hip hop movement.

Friday, December 16, 2005
Tussle
Hotel Utah
$7

The cheapest of my Friday picks and a band I've mentioned numerous times in my postings/emails, Tussle plays instrumental disco-punk-cum-dub that will, like all of the above, make you want to dance.

Monday, December 19, 2005
Hella
Bottom of the Hill
$10

Fresh off of arena tours opening for System of a Down, The Mars Volta and Les Claypool, NorCal duo Hella are hella tough to pin down. They play some sort of rock, but what kind of a rock is up for debate. Indie, prog, spazz, metal, electronica, jazz, noise, classical, and a whole lot more are all at work in Hella's music, but the end result of the guitar/drums duo just sounds, well, "right." At times a little crazy, but right. Hella right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home