Monday, October 09, 2006

Lots of Oldies but Goodies

Thanks to everyone who came out for my first live DJ gig last Thursday. It was going really well until I decided to play two Japanese ultra-heavy Japanese trios back-to-back. The all-girl punk group Kokeshi Doll rocked so damn hard, I should have known that the sound system would need a break. Unfortunately, I didn't give it one and went straight into one of my favorites, Boris, and "Furi" straight killed the amp. I only had about 15 minutes left to play, so it sucked more for Shmeejay, who was on after me and had to play with a crappy old amp until Chris, the DJ who organizes the night, could get back with an amp from his house. That's what I get for playing that heavy, evil shit. All in all, I had a great time and I hope everyone who came out did as well. Perhaps I will look into doing this sort of thing in the future. Who knows what the future will hold? Oh. I do. Here:

Did you get enough hardly strictly bluegrass this weekend? If not, The Knitters, who were one of my favorites from last year’s festival, are playing the Independent tonight. More famous as members of the seminal punk band X, Exene Cervenka, John Doe and D.J. Bonebrake, as well as Dave Alvin of the Blasters, play a bunch of quality country-informed rock and rock-informed country. These guys and girl were playing alt-country in the mid 80’s, so this is your chance to see a very influential band in action.

I’m not sure if they’re all sold-out yet or not, but I feel like I should mention that the original Irish punk band, The Pogues, are playing The Fillmore tonight through Thursday. Considering that tickets are $65, I don’t think I’ll be going unless somebody can get me on the list. Any takers?

If experimental folk and blues is your bag, then I would recommend checking out Califone when they play the Bottom of the Hill on Tuesday. I would totally be there if I didn’t have my radio show tonight. I’m afraid that I’ll be a little too tired to handle their beautiful late night sounds. They’re touring in support of a new album on Thrill Jockey which is garnering rave reviews in the indie press, as their albums always do.

I should probably also mention that grindcore pioneers Napalm Death are playing The Pound on Tuesday. I don’t even know who is in the band anymore. Does it even matter? Napalm. Mother. Fucking. Death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home