Thursday, November 30, 2006

No Melvins for You, Loser

Like the title says, I’m not even going to bother giving all of you melvins, because the Melvins show last night was so fucking good, it's sort of a like a melvin to your soul that you missed it. Two drummers for the whole set, tons of classic material… I’d like to say more, but I’m in a hurry to address your pressing need to know what’s happening tonight. It will suffice to say that your sorry ass missed an amazing show, definitely a highlight in a year of great shows. Sucker.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

My number one pick for tonight would have to be the Evangelicals’ wild and crazy psychedelic pop. These Oklahomans are touring in support their wonderful debut, So Gone. Fans of The Flaming Lips might want to check out the new Oklahoman psych-pop band on the block. I know I do. I tried a couple of times during SXSW this year, but was thwarted. I did see singer/guitarist Josh Jones play a little solo set, and it was good enough to warrant wanting to see him play with a full band. Step on up.

If that doesn’t sound like where you want to be tonight, you can see Dan The Automator (Deltron 3030, Gorillaz, Handsome Boy Modeling School, etc.) performing with a live band, Chali 2na (Jurassic 5) and Casual (Hieroglyphics). We all know Chali’s the #1 MC in J5. Now’s your chance to see him do his thing solo. The show’s $20, but if you’re not on the Mezzanine mailing list and you want to go for $10, I can send you a link that’ll cut the price in half.

Lots of good stuff this weekend, too. Om, Mammatus and Grey Daturas playing together, for god’s sake! Primus! Rjd2! Jana Hunter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home