Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Too Cool for the Castro?

There may be a hell of a lot of music this week up in NYC for the ol’ CMJ Music Marathon this week, but at least there’s plenty going on over on this coast to keep me from missing it too much. Plus, I’m still too bummed out about missing Arthur Nights when it was so close by…

While I believe I will simply be going to a party this Halloween (the first time I have not gone to a show in how many years?) it would be unacceptable of me not to advise you of what’s going on. Word on the streets is that the Castro gets lamer every year. Not that I would know. I usually go to a concert. Hmmm… All this talking about concerts is making my ass want to go to a concert. It’s only going to get worse:

Hmmm… Just discovered that the Halloween show at the 12 Galaxies, featuring Extra Action Marching Band is sold out. So much for one of my top picks for tonight. Lots of skin, punk marching band… Oh well…

I like what I said about The Flying Luttenbachers before, and I still (regrettably) have not seen them and have nothing new to report: “Let the Flying Luttenbachers’ “punk jazz/free death/no wave” do whatever that sort of music does to you (make you bang your head, dance around like a maniac, stand in the back pushing the earplugs in as far as they’ll go, etc.). What with the fact that Mick Barr of Orthrelm, Octis, et al. is playing guitar now, this should be a stellar pick. It’ll be sort of like angry free jazz with a shotgun.” They play at Club 6 with The Jampires, No Doctors and The Microwaves.

Don’t know if The Cramps show is sold out or not, but if you’re into psychobilly, I’m sure you already have your ticket anyway. Should be perfect for Halloween.

At the Hemlock it’s Blectum from Blechdom featuring Blevin Blectum and Kevin Blechdom bringing you crazy electro-craziness.

Finally, the last show I want to recommend this evening would be the Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy show at the Great American. First off, your evening starts off with Sir Richard Bishop of the Sun City Girls, a personal favorite of mine recently. It’s solo acoustic guitar stuff with a variety of different influences, (Spanish, Fahey, et al.). But let’s not forget that Sir Bishop makes some noise with the SCG, and he can certainly make some noise with just an acoustic guitar. But it can also be so delicate and beautiful. Lovely. And that’s just the appetizer. Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy is the main course, and damn, he’s delicious. Will Oldham (he of Palace, Palace Brothers, Superwolf, et al.) is a singer-songwriter of the highest degree. Collaborating with folks from Chavez, Tortoise and even Johnny Cash, most of his work is simple, beautiful and slightly dark. Emphasis on the beautiful. The show should be beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home