Thursday, October 19, 2006

Boris + Lenode 4 Evah

Sometimes I just feel terrible about not blogging about a show. Today is one of those days. There were at least three great shows last night in the city that I should have spoken about: Matmos, The Black Angels (who you are all probably sick of reading about by now) and Boris. While I love Matmos and The Black Angels, Boris rocks my goddamn socks off. They do ambient drone. They do Motorhead-ish metal punk. They do dooooooom metal. They collaborate with Merzbow. They collaborate with Sunn O)))). They destroyed last Halloween when they opened for Sunn, so there was no way I was missing this show.

While I could have passed on Doomriders, who started off the night, I had to get there early so I could browse the merch booth unimpeded. I was relieved to see that they did in fact have copies of the new, super-limited vinyl, Vein, which is already sold out everywhere and fetching upwards of $50 on eBay. I listened to the A-side last night, and it (unsurprisingly) rules. Starts off heavy with a wall of guitar, then drops into drony ambience, then some of the brand of straight-ahead metal that was featured so prominently on Pink. Perhaps a more full review will follow, but, much to my dismay, I passed out on the couch a minute or two before the end of the first side, only to wake up with my back hurting at 5:00 a.m. I have got to get a turntable for my bedroom. If you want to hear Vein, I’ll be debuting it on my show this Tuesday (assuming Boris hasn’t decided to start swearing in English).

The show was (also unsurprisingly) awesome. After a solid opening set from local Sabbath loving doomers Acid King, Boris opened with a heavy, heavy version of “Blackout” from Pink and didn’t really slow down. They concentrated heavily on material from Pink, but scattered some gems from other albums throughout. My only complaint was that they played mostly the more straight-ahead punkish metal and gave us very little in the way of the ambient and slow doom that they do so well. But it was still a great set, and they even played some (new?) stuff that I would consider pop. Well, pop for Boris, at least. Many heads were banged, and a good time was had by all.

Sorry again. Perhaps I can make it up to you with some suggestions for the future. Well, first off, my advice is to head down to LA this weekend for the Arthur Nights festival. First off, you’d get to see Boris. But, folks, that isn’t all. Devendra Banhart, Grouper, Espers, Yellow Swans, The Hidden Hand, Howling Hex, Charalambides, Six Organs of Admittance, Noel Von Harmonson, Comets on Fire, Fiery Furnaces, and tons more are all in tow. Wish I were there. At least there’s about a million things to do in SF. Here are four for tonight:

Don’t know who The Decemberists are yet? You probably do and, if not, you should. Colin Meloy is a masterful storyteller and the band creates a near perfect soundtrack. I’m hard pressed to sum up their music as quickly as I need to, so check out a full song from Picaresque here or check out some samples from their new album here.

If you would rather see something without lyrics, might I suggest Crime in Choir , who are playing a record release show at 12 Galaxies. Intrumental prog from Kenny Hopper, Jesse Reiner, Jarrett Wrenn (also among the founders of At the Drive-In), Tim Soete (of the Fucking Champs), Matt Waters (of the Mass) and Seth Lorinczi (of the Quails and Circus Lupus). If you’re into Hella or the like, get out and see them. Things get even better with Upsilon Acrux dropping some heavy prog to start the show off and local dubby dance rockers Tussle as the meat in this prog sandwich.

If you’re feeling more like taking in some hip hop, I’d recommend hitting up Mezzanine for the Stones Throw 10th Anniversary. Stones Throw has been putting out quality hip hop for (you guessed it) The usual Stones Throw suspects will be there: Madlib and Peanut Butter Wolf. Also in tow will be old schooler J-Rocc on the decks and Percee P on the mic.

For Japanese fuzzy, drony psych, mosey on down to Bottom of the Hill for Suishou No Fune. Mammatus I’ve mentioned before. Twice.

I had really hoped to get to Friday, but you know how it goes. Busy, busy, busy. And now this is probably too late to do any good. But you never know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home