Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Filming the Rebirth of Montreal's Wise Uses for Suicide Machines

Thursday, January 26, 2006
Film School
Bottom of the Hill
$10

Thursday, January 26, 2006
Film School
Amoeba Records, Haight Street
FREE, 6:00 p.m.

Join SF's own Film School for their record release show at Bottom of the Hill or a free in-store at Amoeba and hear some indie, post-punk, shoegaze, psych rock. The few songs I've heard off the new album on the radio indicate a good rock show. And the fact that its their hometown record release party at Bottom of Hill suggest a better than good show.

Friday, January 27, 2006
Rebirth Brass Band with Shotgun Wedding Quintet
The Independent
$20

Saturday, January 28, 2006
Rebirth Brass Band with Albino!
The Independent
$20

Fact: I’ve seen New Orleans’ Rebirth Brass Band live more times than any other band. I’ve seen them dozens of times, and will continue to do so whenever I can, even if it means dropping a hefty $20. The reason? So damn good. Founded in 1983, the RBB features a traditional brass band lineup (snare, bass drum, tuba, trumpets and trombones) and plays traditional NOLA second-line brass band music while incorporating a variety of modern musical styles, borrowing especially heavily from funk and hip hop. Continuous lineup changes over the years have kept the sound fresh from album to album and from tour to tour (although I hope for all attendees' sake that they take it back to the early '00s for a little "Casanova"). Dancing shoes required.


Friday, January 27, 2006
Gossip, Numbers & Tussle
Bottom of the Hill
$12

I believe there are three articles on the Gossip in the Guardian this week and I also believe that the show is sold out (Perhaps you would like to score some guest list and give me a call? Then again, I've never really had a problem scoring a ticket for no more than $5 over face value at a show). Its still one of my top picks for the week, I’m just going to keep it short and sweet. The Gossip do punky blues rock with all sorts of
genres thrown in for good measure. Local act Numbers do noisy disco punk with a heaping helping of electro. Tussle do disco punk cum dub. I’m pretty sure if you search below, you’ll find more on the Tussle.


Saturday, January 28, 2006
Of Montreal
Bottom of the Hill
$12

Another one that I'm pretty sure is sold out (and the Feb. 3 show at Great American appears to also be sold out). Athens, GA Elephant 6 Collective associates Of Montreal's brand of psych-pop comes at you hooks ablazing. With a huge discography and some recent genre defying work, Of Montreal is difficult to sum up quickly, so I'll just say dreamy melodies of the psych-pop of yesteryear fused with, well, a lot of crap. But that's crap in a good way. Like when you're on the road and you've been waiting for a gas station for 40 miles. That kind of crap.

Sunday, January 29, 2006
Pennywise, No Use for a Name and Suicide Machines
Warfield
$19.50

Gots to be true to my roots. Pennywise’s “Waste of Time” was one of the songs that got me started on punk. I still remember hearing it in a skate video and falling in love. I wish I could remember the name of the video. Biohazard, Sepultura, Bad Religion… That video turned me onto some bands that would reveal themselves to be crucial listening throughout my high school years. No Use for a Name’s Leche con Carne and Making Friends (especially Making Friends) were two of my favorite albums my senior year of high school. Suicide Machines may have only dropped one great album, but Destruction by Definition was just that: A truly great punk/ska album. The soundtrack to the movie about my life will definitely have “Hey” on it, for sure. Plus, I bet there’s going to be some pop punk teenie girls at the show. Does that do it for you? It does it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home