Thursday, March 30, 2006

Noise Pop Shows of Note for Tonight

Well, at least I managed to go less than a month between postings. Between planning for South by Southwest, attending SXSW, recovering from SXSW, catching up with personal/work stuff post-SWSW and seeing bands that I missed at SXSW that I really wanted to see but couldn’t, I’ve kept myself busy. I’ll have an SXSW report up here stat for you to peruse, but my goal right now is to get back to the business of advising you of happenings in San Francisco that I feel are worth attending. Back to work:

Thursday, March 30, 2006
Kieran Hebden and Steve Reid
Great American Music Hall
$18

I already mentioned this one here. Since then I’ve sampled a little of the first collaboration album, and it is exactly the tripped-out free-jazzy electronic goodness I expect will be great live. Since then I also bought my tickets. I’m excited.

Thursday, March 30, 2006
Why?
Rickshaw Stop
$10

If lo-fi experimental emo-hop is more your thing, then this show will suit you. Local Yoni Wolf has, like much of his Anticon brethren, moved further and further away from a traditional hip hop sound on each release. He has, unlike his Anticon crew, chosen to go so far down the rock road that he is now categorized there in record stores. What is left of his foundations in hip hop are his occasional hip hop style MCing and the occasional beat. For the most part the recent album, Elephant Eyelash, is pure beautiful lo-fi and it’s also group effort involving some very talented multi-instrumentalists Doug McDiarmid and Yoni’s brother, Josiah. The live show is even more stripped down, and even more beautiful for it. Drums (played mostly with brushes), xylophone, piano, guitar, and (if you’re lucky) a guest on trombone provide the backdrop for Yoni to sing/rap his strange and moving lyrics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home